Alternative NameTe Upoke a Te Rakai TauwhekeMāori HillDescriptionCenturies before European settlers arrived, the suburb known as Māori Park was home to Moa-hunter Māori. The area, rich in food sources like fish, shellfish, and birds, made it an ideal camping spot. The park’s original name, Te Upoke a Te Rakai Tauwheke, honors a famous Ngāi Tahu chief who led his tribe to victory in battles against Ngāti Mamoe.
In 1848 whalers used the park, and notable figures like Te Rehu and his son Tarawhata lived and farmed there.
The railway, built in 1875, reduced the park’s size, but it remained a camping site for Māori until it was sold to Timaru City in 1926. In 1970, a public swimming pool was built in the area and known as 'Māori Park' before it was replaced by the CBay pool in 2012. The wider area is also known as Māori Hill.External LinkThe Timaru Herald 21 Sep 2024: 'Loss of historic Māori reserve land in Timaru still hurts'Geolocation[1] Geo AddressBenvenue Avenue, Māori Hill, Timaru, New ZealandSubjectParks and ReservesEarly MāoriEarly Settlers